- If you smell a strong odor of natural gas inside the home or building, ventilate the area by opening windows or leaving a door open and immediately evacuate.
- Once away from the home or building, call 911 and then South Jersey Gas at 800-582-7060.
- Do not light any matches, turn on any light switches, or use the telephone in the area where the strong odor exists. Any of these actions could ignite gas that may have accumulated.
- If you turned off gas to an appliance and have any difficulty relighting the pilot light, call your plumber, qualified appliance service contractor, or South Jersey Gas for assistance.
- If your home was flooded, call a licensed plumber or a gas appliance technician to inspect your appliances prior to requesting a service reconnection.
- Before removing fallen trees, always call 811 to get a markout for the location of underground utility lines. Gas, electric, telephone, water, sewer and cable lines may be entangled in the root system of any fallen trees. It’s the law in New Jersey and the call and the location service are free.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) want you to follow these important safety tips in the aftermath of severe weather incidents:
Never use a generator inside a home, basement, shed or garage even if doors and windows are open. Keep generators outside and far away from windows, doors and vents. Read both the label on your generator and the owner's manual and follow the instructions. Any electrical cables you use with the generator should be free of damage and suitable for outdoor use.
Charcoal Grills and Camp Stoves
Never use charcoal grills or camp stoves indoors. Deaths have occurred when consumers burned charcoal or used camp stoves in enclosed spaces, which produced lethal levels of carbon monoxide.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
Install carbon monoxide alarms immediately outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home to protect against carbon monoxide poisoning. Change the alarm batteries every year.
Electrical and Gas Safety
Stay away from any downed wires, including cable TV feeds. They may be live with deadly voltage. If you are standing in water, do not handle or operate electrical appliances. Electrical components, including circuit breakers, wiring in the walls and outlets that have been under water should not be turned on. They should be replaced unless properly inspected and tested by a qualified electrician.
Natural gas or propane valves that have been under water should be replaced. Smell and listen for leaky gas connections. If you believe there is a gas leak, immediately leave the house, leave the door(s) open and call 911. Never strike a match. Any size flame can spark an explosion. Before turning the gas back on, have the gas system checked by a professional.
Use caution with candles. If possible, use flashlights instead. If you must use candles, do not burn them on or near anything that can catch fire. Never leave burning candles unattended. Extinguish candles when you leave the room.
Consumers, fire departments and state and local health and safety agencies can download CPSC's generator safety posters, door hangers and CO safety publications at CPSC's CO Information Center or order free copies by contacting CPSC's Hotline at 800-638-2772.
You can also download FEMA and USFA's lifesaving information on disasters at www.Ready.gov and www.usfa.dhs.gov