Yes. A blocked chimney is extremely dangerous because it won’t allow the burned gases, including Carbon Monoxide (CO), to escape your home properly, which can lead to CO poisoning. To avoid any serious mishap, make sure your chimney is professionally cleaned and inspected at least once a year. This keeps it from becoming clogged by fallen leaves, branches, nests or debris.
If you’ve switched from oil to gas and use the same chimney, a clean chimney is especially important. When oil burns, it leaves soot on the chimney’s inner-walls. Over time, this soot can fall off, accumulate and clog the chimney. If a chimney is clogged with soot, CO can’t escape. As an added safety measure, install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. CO detectors are an inexpensive safety precaution.