Stay Safe

Be ready for whatever winter brings with safety tips for your home.

Meter Safety
  • Know the location of your natural gas meter and keep it clear of debris.
  • Following a weather emergency, check that the gas meter is visible and accessible.
  • Don’t lean ladders or metal objects against a meter or piping.
  • Don’t use sharp tools or instruments near the meter.

Appliance Safety
  • Never use your oven or stove top to heat your home or business.
  • Make sure your heating system, water heater and any other natural gas appliances are serviced and inspected annually by a qualified licensed professional.
  • Do not use any defective natural gas appliance until it has been inspected, serviced and determined to be safe by a qualified plumber or heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) professional.

Carbon Monoxide – What is it? How do I detect it?
  • Carbon monoxide, or "CO" is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that is potentially poisonous when inhaled.
  • Your best defense is prevention. Install a CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery regularly. Change batteries when you change the time on your clocks each spring and fall.
  • The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion.
  • If you suspect carbon monoxide exposure: LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY, call 911 and seek medical attention.
Fireplace & Fire Safety
  • Before lighting your first fire of the season, be sure to have your fireplace inspected and cleaned.
  • Use fireplace screens to avoid flying sparks and embers.
  • Never pour lighter fluid, kerosene or gasoline on a fireplace.
  • Never leave your fireplace unattended.
  • Have a fire extinguisher handy and always check to make sure it’s not expired.
Snow & Ice Safety
  • Be prepared. Have a shovel, sand or rock salt on hand.
  • When removing snow or ice from your natural gas meter, use your hands or a broom, not a shovel.
  • Never kick or hit your gas meter or its piping with a hammer or any hard object to break away built-up snow or ice.
  • Ensure that outdoor vent openings and air intakes are not obstructed by snow or ice.
  • Take it easy. Avoid overexertion when shoveling – use caution, take breaks, bend your knees, push the snow and lift lighter loads.
  • Snow and ice can cause damage. If your gas meter is damaged or an underground gas line is exposed, move to a safe location immediately and call 911 and South Jersey Gas 1.800.582.7060.

 

Customer Service

Can't find what you need on our site? Click or tap below to contact us via message or phone. We are happy to help you.

  Contact Us

811: Call Before You Dig

Call 811 or visit Call811.com before you dig. Plan ahead. Be safe. Click or tap for more information on utility pipeline markouts and pipeline safety.

  Learn More

Regulatory Information

Click or tap below to access our regulatory filings and tariff information.

  Learn More